Our deacons are here to help!
You can contact our deacons here.
What Is a Deacon?
The Christian life is a life marked by service and characterized by a love for others that is grounded in the love God has first shown us. Jesus Christ himself said, “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45). While all Christians are called to demonstrate compassion for those in need and minister to those who are hurting, there also exists the specific office of deacon.
Serving at Bellefield
Deacons meet monthly and/or as needed to discern congregational and community needs. They work to ensure that those who are shut-in or hospitalized are visited regularly. They oversee our food pantry and monthly lunches, provide grief-counseling materials to those who lose loved ones, and many other similar acts. Deacons may assist the pastor in serving home Communion to our shut-ins, and are called to be models of integrity and commitment in their own worship attendance.
The current Food Pantry policy is as follows:
- Pantry occurs the first Sunday of each month.
- Pantry hours are 12:15-12:45 August through April
- Pantry hours are 11:15-11:45 May, June, July
- Please do not be late for pantry. We will not be able to serve you, if you are late.
- We must have a signed Proxy in order for someone else to pick up your food.
- If you are unable to come to the pantry at these times, you must make
arrangements through the church office 412-687-3222 x0. Someone
will respond within 24 hours.
- At the current time, February 2023, we are at our max capacity for pantry members.
Our food pantry will continue to serve those living in the Oakland area (zip code of 15213) only. Those living outside the area can find other resources through the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank https://www.pittsburghfoodbank.org/ or by calling 412-460-3663).
You can find a local food pantry through this page:
If you would like to volunteer to help with the food pantry distributions, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.