- In 1801, the congregation that would become First United Presbyterian Church began meeting downtown in the Pittsburgh Courthouse. They later moved to the corner of Fifth and Thackeray and constructed our current building in 1898.
- In 1866, Bellefield Presbyterian Church was formed, eventually constructing a building (the bell tower of which still stands) on the corner of Fifth and Bellefield in 1889.
- These two congregations merged in 1967, bringing the name “Bellefield” to the Fifth and Thackeray location.
- Both congregations had pastors who served as principals or chancellors of the University of Pittsburgh, one of whom, Dr. Robert Bruce, also established Duquesne College and served as its president until his death.
- We are a congregation who loves others, shares the Gospel, grows in our relationship with Jesus Christ and each other, and serves sacrificially.
- We are actively engaged in key partnerships with the Coalition for Christian Outreach (CCO), Pittsburgh Region International Student Ministries (PRISM), and others. Our deacons run a food bank for local residents, and we host the Pitt Pantry—a university-run food pantry for students in need.
- We remain committed to intergenerational ministry, providing worship, fellowship, and discipleship opportunities for individuals and families, students, and professionals, young and old alike.
- We are committed to the Evangelical Presbyterian Church’s vision: “To the glory of God, the EPC family aspires to embody and proclaim Jesus’ love as a global movement of congregations engaged together in God’s mission through transformation, multiplication, and effective biblical leadership.”
- We believe that God will continue to work through the congregation of Bellefield to reach
others, disciple them, and send them out into the world to bear witness to Jesus Christ and
transform their vocational callings for the sake of the Gospel.
- We long to see the ministry of this place bless future generations in the same way it has
the previous ones.